The Oneida Group’s principal operating subsidiaries, Oneida Ltd. and Anchor Hocking, LLC, were founded in 1848 and 1873, respectively.
Since Anchor Hocking began in 1905, two things have come out of the same plant: reliability and innovation. Founded by the Hocking River in Lancaster, Ohio, it all started in an old plant called the “Black Cat”. In 1924, the Black Cat burned down. What was left? 6 acres of charred rubble and 650 people without jobs. Anchor Hocking set up headquarters and set to rebuild right away. Six months later they were running as if the catastrophe hadn’t happened.
Resilience, innovation, and dedication – this is how we pushed forward into the modern world. This is how we operate today.
Over 110 years, we’ve gone from a small plant to a leading manufacturer of glassware in the United States. We’ve done it all while proudly manufacturing a majority of our glass in the original location.
Perfection. That’s what Oneida was founded on. Many argue utopia is impossible. We’ve been challenging that view for nearly 200 years.
Founded in 1848 in upstate New York, they didn’t originally have flatware in mind. They wanted the perfect community. But the perfect community also had to support itself. They discovered they had an otherworldly talent for one thing: flatware.
Silver knives, forks and spoons – the quality was, well, utopian. And other people quickly caught on. So began The Oneida Community, Ltd.
An all-American company with an all-American duty. In both World Wars, Oneida supported the nation’s fights to protect freedom and democracy. For the Army and Navy, we produced ammunition clips, grenades, shells, bayonets, parachute releases, surgical instruments, and, of course, silverware.
But flatware was our first love. And after the War we returned home to it.
Beautiful. Bold. Durable. Welcome to the world of stainless-steel flatware. In 1960, Oneida pioneered this revolutionary technology. High-end products regular people could afford – this stole the world’s attention.